Saturday, July 16, 2016

Mom's Banana Bread



I have the perfect thing for those lazy Saturday mornings y'all. You know the ones I'm talkin 'bout. The ones where breakfast and the day is calling out to you, but it just feels perfect to sleep in just a wee bit more. Oh yeah, you know what I mean. Those kinds of Saturday mornings are perfect for some warm, fresh banana bread all buttered up. Oh, and you mustn't  forget the coffee.

My mom always made the best banana bread. She always made it with buttermilk and threw in some walnuts. I always loved the twang from the buttermilk.  Thankfully, I have made her recipe so many times I have the recipe in my head. 

Mom kept many of her recipes on index cards in a little hinged box. Somehow in our recent move I have misplaced that little box of recipes. ðŸ˜ž I am still hopeful that it will be found.

Mom's Banana Bread

1 1⁄3 cups  sugar
1⁄2 cup  butter, softened
2 eggs
1⁄2 cup  buttermilk
1 teaspoon  baking soda
1 teaspoon  baking powder
2 cups  flour
1 teaspoon  pure vanilla
1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas
3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions~
Cream together the sugar and butter.
Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to mix well after each addition. Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk and add to the eggs, butter and sugar mixture. Sift baking powder with flour and blend into creamed mixture.   Add the vanilla and mashed banana. Mix. Stir in the walnuts. Pour into a greased and floured 9"x5" loaf pan. 
Bake at 300 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hours or until loaf tests done with a toothpick. 
Cool for about 20-30 minutes before removing from pan.
Enjoy!

*please note*
I used two smaller disposable pans this time, so I adjusted the cooking time to about 60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment