Friday, March 13, 2015

Where Have You Been All My Life...

And how did I ever live without you!
I first saw a butter crock on Paula Deen years ago.  Now that I've tried using it I am wandering why I waited so long to buy myself a beurrier à l'eau, a French butter crock, butter bowl, or a butter bell as this one I purchased is called???  No matter what you call them, they are simply wonderful.  In my humble opinion I think that they might just be the best thing since sliced bread.  I mean soft, silky and ready when you are, spreadable deliciousness.  Need I say more.  
Invented in the late nineteenth century in France the two part system is perfectly designed for storing butter.  The water which is kept in the bottom part creates an air tight seal when the lid with the butter bell is put in place.  Simply put, oxygen can not get in to spoil the butter.  It can be kept perfectly fresh and at the perfect consistency for spreading for up to one month when you change the water once a every few days.  Well, I've been switching out the water every time I use the butter and that's everyday.  This butter crock is just genius, pure genius I say.
I am so happy I purchased mine.  They can be found just about anywhere online. If you do a google search you can even find artisans who fire them in clay.  Etsy is a great place to look as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment