Wednesday, November 25, 2015

To Market, To Market...

to buy a fat pig.

Oh, wait. I'm going for spuds, butter, cream and a secret ingredient for a new mashed potato recipe I want to try.

Yep every time I make mashed potatoes its always the same way. I mean cream and butter and some russets is purely a mash made in heaven.

But...I saw that the Pioneer Woman had a recipe that made them using cream cheese and I thought, why not give it a try. And so I did. And y'all listen up~
They. Are. Good.  
These are not your basic mashed taters for sure. The cream cheese adds a nice little tanginess.  These are so good that I may never go back to the old way of making them again. Just sayin y'all. Ok, and to be honest I gotta say that I did modify her recipe ever so slightly. I didn't use the season salt or the half and half. My mama's first rule of making mashed potatoes was to always use cream and only cream. So I never, ever use anything but cream in my mashed potatoes. On that I don't budge.
You might want to try them for yourself and see what you think.


Here is what you need~

5# Russets Potatoes
3/4 cup of butter
8 oz. of Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 - 3/4 whipping Cream
1/2-1 teaspoon Salt
1/2-1 teaspoon Black Pepper

Peel, quarter and wash the potatoes. Place the potatoes in just enough water to cover them and when they come to a boil simmer them for about 30-35 minutes or until fork tender.


Drain and return to the cooking pot. Add the butter and the softened cream cheese. Now you can mash them and pass them through a ricer.

Lastly add the seasoning and the cream. Start with a half teaspoon of each seasoning and see how it tastes before adding more.


According to the Pioneer Woman these  can be made a day ahead and re-heated in the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment