Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Red Velvet Bonbons


One of my favorite things during the Christmas season is baking and more baking. Cookies, candies and goodies of all sorts.  I remember my mama used to make all sorts of goodies during the Christmas season. She was a wonderful baker. One thing she would make every year were bonbons. They were so delicious, but honestly they required so much work. I like things to be delicious, but simple to make.
The Red Velvet Bonbons I whipped up today are simple and so delicious. Honestly they are just too doggone easy to make and they come together in no time. They are perfect for gifting and they are a fun project to do with your kids. 
Here's what you need to make one batch of Red Velvet Bonbons:
1 box red velvet cake mix, prepare as directed on the box
1 tub of cream cheese frosting
2 bags of white candy melts, I use Wilton brand
Silpat or waxed paper
~~~~~~
Mix and bake the cake according to the directions on the box. Cool completely and them crumble the cake in a big bowl. Mix in 1 cup of the cream cheese frosting until all is incorporated. Ok, now it gets a little messy because you need to roll the mixture into small balls. You could you a small cookie scoop, but I find it just works better if you use your hands. 😊
Ok, now that you have all your red velvet bonbons rolled into balls it's  time to melt your candy coating. The microwave works fine. About 2-3 minutes per package, stopping to stir after each minute. Just be sure to use a sturdy plastic container that won't melt and burn through. I learned this the hard way when I was melting mine today. I'd show you what it looked like, but trust me it ain't purdy and I burned my finger. Ouch! So choose your container carefully.
Give each bonbon a dip in the candy coating. Remove with a fork, tapping all the excess off. Place each coated bonbon on your silpat or waxed paper. When the candy coating is all set up you are ready to package them up for gifting, that is, if they don't get devoured before that. 
Try them and let me know what you think.
🎄~~Merry Christmas And 
                        Happy Baking To All~~🎄

No comments:

Post a Comment