Friday, January 22, 2016

Double Chocolate and Walnut Braid


Our ingredients for this month's Improv Cooking Challenge were bread/pastry dough and chocolate. Can I just say that I love working and playing with bread or pastry dough of any kind. It's one of my most favorite reasons to be in the kitchen. And chocolate well, I never need a reason for chocolate.
A few days ago I wanted to try something really ambitious with some yeast dough for this month's cooking challenge.  I'm talkin chocolate babka ambitious. Yeah, the stuff of Sienfeld and David Lebovitz. Life however had other plans, as it often does, and I had to go another route. 
I had to take the easy road. :( I am happy however with the end result. What I ended up making was a double chocolate walnut braid with puff pastry dough. Super easy to do and so very elegant too. And did I mention it was delicious. I had seen a version floating around the internet, which I did try. I made it with a Cadberry chocolate bar and some raspberry jam. I didn't like the way it came out though. The chocolate was way to runny and overall it was just messy and not so pretty. So I played around with some ideas that where in my head and I think it worked perfectly. My taste testers sure gobbled it up pretty quick.
So here's what I did. ~~
Use 1 sheet of Pepperidge Farms puff pastry dough, straight from the fridge. Place it on a silicone cooking mat that has been placed on a cookie sheet. No need to grease it.


Cut 8 diagonal strips on each side. Use  a butter knife so you won't damage your mat. Mine weren't perfect, but they still worked. Cut the end triangles away first.  Now there is what you need for the filling:
3/4 cup roughly chopped chocolate morsels. I gave mine a whirl in the blender.
1/3 cup coursely chopped walnuts
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls flour
Spread this mixture onto the center portion of the puff pastry. Use the fold lines as a guide. Fold the end pieces over and then the fold the diagonal cut strips alternating over each other and finish with the last ones pinching lightly to seal. At this point you can do an egg wash if you want.  Bake at 350* for 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle with some melted white chocolate when the braid is still warm. Serve warm with coffee or for an over the top chocolate experience serve with a cup of hot chocolate. 
Check out some of the other tasty chocolate and dough/pastry creations from this month's challenge.



6 comments:

  1. This braid is stunning :) Love how simple it sounds to make and yet how decadently beautiful the final product is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was super easy; even for my RA hands. 😊

      Delete
  2. I big ol' heart puff pastry! I can almost smell this baking (in my imagination) YUM! I'd probably have to make an extra pot of coffee, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puff pastry is my friend too. I love to work with it. And yes, one pot of coffee is not enough.

      Delete
  3. Looks fabulous! I used store-bought dough too. I'm all about ease and convenience these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Although I will tackle that chocolate babka one day!

      Delete