Saturday, January 30, 2016

Italian Lemon Cream Cake


I was thinking about how I could the last of the lemons that a sweet friend had given me when I came across this recipe for a lemon cream cake from An Italian In My Kitchen and I knew that I wanted to try it. I tried it and it was good, but I just knew that I had to tweak it a bit, 'cause I love a really tangy punch. It was a hit with my favorite taste testers and I think you might like it too. 


~~Italian Lemon Cream Cake~~

2 cups + 1 tablespoon flour 
1¾ cups icing/powdered sugar 
4 eggs
⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
7 tablespoons butter melted 
Zest of two lemons
2 teaspoons baking powder 
½ teaspoon salt
7 drops of lemon oil
Juice of the 2 lemons

Lemon Soak
Take 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice and simmer over medium heat till the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool

Lemon Glaze
Mix 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 -2 tbls fresh squeezed lemon juice until smooth.

Let's do this
Pre-heat your oven to 350°. Lightly grease and flour a large bundt cake pan.  In a stand mixer  beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed until they are light and fluffy. Melt the butter and let it cool completely. Zest the peel of two lemons and set aside. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, then alternating with the cream gently fold into egg mixture with a spatula, keep folding in until mixture is combined. Last gently fold in lemon peel, lemon oil drops and melted butter, pour into prepared bundt pan and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes. While the cake is still warm use a pastry brush to pat the cake with the lemon syrup. When the cake has completely cooled drizzle with the lemon glaze. Now it's time to enjoy a slice!




No comments:

Post a Comment