Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Fabulous Finds and Fresh Tastes...

While out shopping at Ross the other day I came across some Lenox China in the Butterfly Meadow pattern.  I got very excited, because I had been eyeing this china for some time.  I had put it on my "someday and a girl can dream" wish lists, because it was way, way out of my budget.  A three piece setting at one of the finer stores will cost about $72.00 and I needed place settings for four.  At that price it just wasn't going to happen.  Well, you can imagine just how excited I was when I saw them at Ross and at the price they were selling for I knew that I could definitely afford to get the setting pieces for four.  So, for way less than the price of one 3-piece place setting I was able to get service for 4.  I was doing a little happy dance inside of Ross.
Here is what I came away with,  4 cups, 4 pasta bowls and dinner plates.  I will look for the salad plates and soup bowls soon, but for now I am soooo happy with my fabulous find.
                                                 
Excited to try out my new dinnerware,  I planned a lovely dinner of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and a veggie.  I had some brussel sprouts and wanted to try braising them with some of the boiled cider that I had made a few weeks earlier.  Making the boiled cider is super easy. See how I did it  here.  So I added them to the menu. Here is how I put it together.  


Braised Brussels Sprouts with Boiled Cider and Applewood Smoked Bacon

1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed and halved
2 slices of Applewood Smoked Bacon, diced
1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and cut into medium sized chunks**
1/4 cup boiled cider
2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the diced bacon. Cook the bacon until brown and remove to paper towel.  Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings and discard the rest.  Add the brussels sprouts, apples red onion and boiled cider. Cook this over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the brussels sprouts turn bright green and are tender.  Add bacon, and cook for 2 more minutes more. Season to your liking with salt and pepper. Enjoy!!!

**I did not add the apple chunks this time because my son, the one who loves fruit, just not cooked or mixed with veggies, requested "No Apple Chunks Mom" I have since made it with the apple chunks and it is absolutely scrumptious. They add a nice punch along with the boiled cider .





No comments:

Post a Comment