Thursday, December 18, 2014

Improv Cooking Challenge: Marshmallow Mania

For December's Improv Cooking Challenge we were given the colors "Red" and "Green" instead of ingredients. Oh My! What to do? With such a wide open palate the possibilities were numerous. Let's just say I tried quite a few different recipe ideas using Red and Green in a number of different ways. I finally settled on something that brought sweet memories from my childhood. ~Marshmallows! Mom made them every Christmas. They were always a special treat.

Now since my mom did just plain old vanilla marshmallows, I had to get out my old thinking cap and see what I could do to incorporate Red and Green into the challenge in more ways than just food color as mom would do. There were many different color options. My favorite was the edible glitter.
For the colors/flavors I decided on peppermint. Although it is a green leafy herb it is most represented as red. Then I chose coconut for the green. Now I know you're probably thinking, coconut?? Well, it might be a bit of a stretch but young coconuts have a green outer shell. That counts right?

I also dyed some popsicle sticks in of course Red and Green, and added some fun Red and Green straws as holders because I used cookie cutters to make some shaped marshmallow popcicles.
It was a fun time. 
A sweet treat messy time. 
It was a Cammie's Kitchen Adventures Marshmallow Mania Marathon.
So... without further ado, may I present you with~

MARSHMALLOW MANIA 2014

*Gathering all the ingredients.


*Letting the unflavored gelatin bloom.



*Cooking the sugar syrup. 240 degrees is the magic number.

*The syrup it ready and it's HOT. Pouring it into the mixer is a slow and careful job. They make those splash guards for a reason. :)

*Almost there. Whip, whip and whip some more. About 15 minutes should do it! 

*Ready for the pan.

*First batches one pan of coconut marshmallows and one pan of 
peppermint. (pictured are the coconut) Now to let them sit 
uncovered overnight. Waiting is... Oh. So. Hard!



* The official Christmas Candy Cane Smasher for the peppermint marshmallows.

*Cutting the shapes from the peppermint marshmallows.
*What to do with all these scraps??


*I know.  I will use them for Hot chocolate. Yummy!



Basic Marshmallow Recipe
2 cups corn syrup
3 cups pure cane sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
4 tablespoons pure vanilla or I like to use vanilla bean paste
5 tblsp. flavored gelatin
Confectioner's sugar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Prepare two 9x13 cake pans. Spray each with a little Pam. Measure out 5 tblsp. of unflavored gelatin. Don't go by the packets, as they can vary. Place the gelatin in your mixer bowl and add one cup of water and allow it to "bloom" for thirty minutes. The gelatin will absorb all of the water and look like a blob, but not to worry, that is how it should look. About 20 minutes into the  "blooming time" start the sugar syrup.  Place the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt in a large heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Stir until all of the sugar is dissolved, turn to high heat and bring to a boil. Place the thermometer on the side of the pan so it is not touching the bottom. Boil the sugar syrup, with out stirring, until it reaches a temperature of 240 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the heat and carefully pour into your unflavored gelatin while the mixer is slowly mixing. When all of the sugar syrup is incorporated gradually bring the speed up to high and and continue whipping at high speed for 15 minutes. At this time you can add you vanilla or whatever flavorings you have decided to use. Whip an additional minute or two and you can then pour your marshmallow mixture into your prepared pans. Let the marshmallows sit out overnight uncovered. The next day turn them out onto a cutting board that has been liberally dusted with confectioner's sugar. Using a pizza cutter (my preference) or knife sprayed with a smidge of Pam. Now you can cut the marshmallows into strips, then cubes. Or you can try using a cookie cutter of your choosing. The thicker cutters work best. Toss the individual marshmallows in a ziplock bag with the confectioner's sugar to coat all sides. Shake off the excess and store in an airtight container until you are ready to enjoy.













For more fabulous Red and Green recipe creations check out the links below.

Blogger:

5 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmm -- candy cane marshmallows in cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...oh! & I should've borrowed your official candy-cane smasher for when I was crushing canes for biscotti. I ended up using my marble pestle in a big metal bowl. (Actually, I handed the job off to my youngest, in exchange for taster's rights...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the little stars and the odd shaped scraps tasted quite yummy in the cocoa. I seemed to have helped myself to more than a little cocoa and marshmallows. Oh, the special treats of the season. Makes me smile:) And yes, having helpers is wonderful. My oldest helped me pour the hot syrup into the mixer in exchange for an unspecified amount of marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How yummy! I have never made marshmallows, but have always wanted to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really must. They are so much fun to do and they really are easy to make.

    ReplyDelete