Saturday, January 31, 2015

Chicken Soup For The Hungry Soul





Sounds like the title to a familiar book doesn't it. Well, our hungry souls we're sure in the mood for soup today, but with the rainy weather I just didn't feel like venturing out to the supermarket. So I scoured the pantry and fridge to see what I could find. 

I knew I had some chicken thighs and knew we could use those. So I decided on making a creamy chicken soup. Pulled it all together with the following ingredients and didn't have to leave the house. 

Creamy Chicken Soup With Rice

2-3 chicken thighs, cooked, deboned and cubed
1 cup rice (I had some leftover from another meal)
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 cup Idahoan potato flakes, this will help thicken the broth a bit
3 tablespoons peppered gravy mix
2 tablespoons Knor Chicken Bollion
1/4 teaspoon sage
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup 1% milk or skim

Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Stir well to incorporate all. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until celery is tender. If you are using pre-cooked rice I would add it about the last 5 minutes so as not to have it too mushy. Enjoy your soup with a sandwich or some crackers. It really hits the spot on those dreary and rainy days.



No comments:

Post a Comment