Friday, October 30, 2015

Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake



FALL is here and I love the colors, smells and flavors during this time of year. One of the things I love about fall is pumpkin.  Another thing I love is a good coffee cake. It brings back so many great memories of my childhood and the sights and smells of the many different baked goods and coffee cakes my mom would make. Coffee cake isn't just for breakfast y'all. Growing up we had it as desert for lunch and supper too. Anytime of day is the perfect time for coffee cake in my humble opinion. So when I saw this recipe for a spiced pumpkin coffee cake from Jamie over at Anderson And Grant I was in love and knew I had to try it. However, I wanted to lighten it up a bit, so I made a few modifications. 
Here is my lighter version.

~Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake~ 
1 box yellow cake mix 
1 small can of pumpkin puree 
4 eggs 
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice 

~Streasel~ 
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cup sugar 
1 cup chopped walnuts 

~Glaze~ 
1 cup of powdered sugar 
1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice 
1-1/2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 375*
Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan

Mix sugars and walnuts together and set aside. Place all ingredients for the coffee cake in a medium bowl and mix together until all are incorporated and smooth. evenly spread half of the batter in the prepared cake pan. Top with half of the streussel and then top with the remaining batter. Now lastly sprinkle the remaining streussel over the cake and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. While cake is cooling mix up the glaze. Place in a ziploc bag, remove air and seal it. Cut a small corner from one corner and drizzle over the cake when it has completely cooled. Enjoy!

Taking one for my co-workers. They are like family.


No comments:

Post a Comment