Thursday, November 20, 2014

November Improv Cooking Challenge: Boiled Cider Caramels


For this month's Improv Cooking Challenge  we were given apples and cinnamon as the ingredients.   I tried several different things before deciding on Salted Boiled Cider Caramels. Just the thought of apple cider and caramel made my mouth water. But together, I could just imagine the caramel, apple, cinnamon explosion waiting to happen in my mouth.

For these caramels to have the intense flavor that they do you really should use boiled cider. You could use just plain old cider, but the apple flavor won't be as intense. The boiled cider is expensive to purchase, but it only costs about $3.00 to make. So being the frugal gal that I am I set out to make my own. Seriously it could not be any easier. Let me show you just how easy it is.

 Making Boiled Cider is as easy as...
 1.Put the cider in Dutch oven.

 2. Let it come to a full boil on high heat.

3. Lower to medium low and let it simmer for 
about 4-5 hours.

4. Stir occasionally, watch a movie, clean house,
 until you get to this point. Now you have made
boiled cider.  AKA Liquid Gold. Seriously this 
stuff just that good. It can be used in so many 
ways. But now I am going to turn it into some
delicious Salted Boiled cider Caramels.

One half gallon of apple cider=1 cup of boiled cider

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's make caramels.
Add the boiled cider, cream, butter, sugar and 
corn syrup to a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Stir 
till everything is incorporated and the butter 
has melted and sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil.
Reduce to medium-high heat.  Cook for 20-30
minutes or until the thermometer reads 248˚


Now it's time to add the salt and spices. Stir to 
incorporate. Now pour it into your prepared pan.
Don't forget to sprinkle on the sea salt. Now comes 
the hard part. You have to let the caramels sit in 
the pan for 12-18 hours before you can cut them 
up into 1" squares and enjoy them.


My big pizza slicer was very helpful in cutting
the caramel into squares.

Yummy. 
Let's enjoy some Boiled Cider Caramels.



Boiled Cider Caramels~~~

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups sugar
6 tbls. butter
1/2 cup boiled cider
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
sea salt

This recipe will make about 64 - 1" squares. 




Check out some other great Apple and Cinnamon recipes!!!!






Like

13 comments:

  1. I have seen cider caramels before and never made them. This sounds soooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are simply wonderful. So glad I tried them.

      Delete
  2. These sound like a treat that can't be beat/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I assure you they are. Making them with the boiled cider makes all the difference. I have selfishly eaten more than my fair share already. :) In my defense I just could not stop.

      Delete
  3. ... and I thought our dishes would be quite different -- Caramel is definitely on my brain! I really like the subtle apple flavor in my dip. I'm so glad all your fellas were pleased with your creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit surprised that they liked them too. Because the boiled cider does not leave a very subtle flavor. Boiling it down gives the cider an awesome, blow you out of the known stratosphere flavor that just screams apple.

      Delete
  4. Um...YUM!!! Cider caramel?? I'm in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd invite you over to sample some, but someone, I can't name names, has finished them up. :) Trust me you'll want to try them. and you'll be so glad you did.

      Delete
  5. I am so intrigued by the intense cider flavor in the caramel. As we all love caramel apples, I bet these candies would be a total hit in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to try these! I secretly hope the rest of the family hates them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I simply wanted them all to myself. But my family quickly remedied that.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a great recipe! It would never occur to me to make homemade caramels, but they look so much better than anything store-bought. Thanks for participating this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I had so much fun making them. I had made caramels before, but had never thought about caramel apple. The boiled cider is what makes them so out of this world delicious. They will definately be a repeat recipe.
    So glad hat I was able participate. I am loving it and learning so much.

    ReplyDelete