Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Going Coconut



If you've ever lived out Arizona way you might remember Smitty's. They sold everything from groceries to household goods and lots of things in between. And inside the store they had a restaurant. The food was good homestyle cooking and they made really tasty pies. The coconut cream was always my favorite. Unfortunately for many years now they have no longer been in business. Bye, bye favorite coconut cream pie.
When we lived back east for a few years we would buy a brand of ice cream called Turkey Hill. They make a variety of flavors and I love each one of them. Once they started making a coconut cream pie flavor I was hooked. Just couldn't get enough of the stuff it was just so good. So when we moved back to Arizona I immediately searched for Turkey Hill ice cream. Well, even though they sell Turkey Hill ice cream here locally I have never been able to find their coconut cream pie flavor. The response I always get when I ask for it is that there is not enough interest in it. SAY WHAT?!?!? Well, what is wrong with people I say. Anyways, I had such a hankerin for it the other day I decided to make my own. Yes Indeedy I did. 
I must say that it turned out very good. It's no churn, packed with good coconut cream pie flavor, smooth and creamy. It was so good I wanted to hide it way, way back in the freezer behind the veggies. Seriously I thought about doing that because no one ever looks behind the veggies. However my conscience got the better of me and I did not. I left it out in plain sight and shared it with everyone. 

Well if you like Cocnut cream pie, then I think you will like this ice cream. Here's just how simple it is to mix up.



 Coconut Cream Pie Ice Cream. Only 3 ingredients.
2 cups heavy whipping cream                                              
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup of toasted coconut. 

Toast the coconut in a frying pan on medium high heat, stir often til it's brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the sweetened condensed milk. And last gently fold in the coconut. Freeze in a tightly sealed container for 6 hours. I know it's gonna be hard but resist the urge to gobble it up right then and there. Let it chill out and you will have some of the best tasting ice cream ever. I promise, on my word as a former Girl Scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment