Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sweet Butter Mochi


At the church I used to attend, every year at the first of the year the Nichigo ladies would have a mochi pounding on Sunday after church. I wish had snapped pictures to show y'all. It was always fun to watch the men pound the rice and then the ladies make the mochi. It always plain mochi and some with the red beans in the middle. Either way it was delish and a cultural cooking adventure.
So today I decided to make sweet mochi. I don't need any special equipment and it couldn't be simpler. And did I mention it's sweet and good and has coconut. So I made a trip the the Asian store where I bought the mochiko (rice flour) and a few other goodies.
The mochiko was only $1.89 a box so I bought a few; for future mochi making adventures of coarse.
So here's the recipe I used. So simple and easy to make. I didn't even have to get out the mixer.

Sweet Butter Mochi 

1 pound mochiko (glutinous rice flour)
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 cups whole milk
5 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
Directions~
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and milk. In a separate larger bowl, stir together the rice flour, sugar, and baking powder. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir to blend. Mix in melted butter and coconut. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Cool completely, then cut into squares and enjoy. Store in an airtight container. Eat within 3-4 days for maximum freshness.


No comments:

Post a Comment