Saturday, July 11, 2015

Buttermilk Cake

It's my youngest son's birthday today and we are celebrating with some Buttermilk Cake. Just like my Grandma Strain used to make. I absolutely love this cake because it's rich and moist on the inside and the sweet butter soak makes it nice crunchy outside. It's a favorite also, because it is just so doggone easy to make, and I like easy? Just sayin y'all.
Here's the recipe in case you want to see for yourself just how good it is.

Buttermilk Cake

1c. Unsalted Butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
3 c. AP Flour
2 c. Sugar
1tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 tbls. Vanilla Bean Paste
1 c. Buttermilk (use 1 c. regular milk with one tbls. white vinegar as a substitute is you don't have buttermilk)
4 eggs

Sweet Butter Soak
1/3 c. Butter
3/4 c. Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste
2 tbls. Water
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat the oven to 325* 
Liberally grease a 10" bunt pan with butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
Now here's what makes this cake so doggone easy; just place all ingredients into the bowl of you mixer like so~
Now mix it on low for about 30 seconds till everything is moistened and you won't  have flour flying everywhere. Then amp the mixer up to medium and mix it for another 3 minutes stopping to scrape down the sides and bottom somewhere in between. Oh, and don't panic if you notice some small chunks of butter in the batter.  It's all good and perfectly normal. 
Now I'm fessin up y'all. I buttered and floured the wrong size pan. Instead of a 10" I did a smaller 7" pan
                       Oops!!! 
Not to worry. I can put the extra batter in a couple little loaf pans and take them to my coworkers on Monday. Crisis avoided. Wish every kitchen mistake was such an easy fix. :)
Ok back on track. Now that the pan is filled give it a couple gentle taps on the counter to get the air bubbles out. Bake for 65-75 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Now let's poke holes in the cake with straw. 
Now you can get the sweet butter soak ready. In a small saucepan over medium heat mix all ingredients just until the sugar has dissolved. Do not let it boil. Immediately pour it over the warm cake. 

Let the cake cool completely before turning it out onto your cake stand. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy.






2 comments:

  1. ARGH! That cake looks so delicious.

    But I'm afraid I couldn't take a bite, as I've just gorged myself "tasting" my Challenge recipe... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why I didn't see this before.?.? I am so going to try your challenge recipe. I love chex mix anything. Honestly I never thought of doing something like that. And to add bacon!!! My bacon obsessed son was drooling when he saw the recipe.

      Delete