Wednesday, July 8, 2015

To Knot? Or not?


Who doesn't love a warm soft pretzel? Basted in butter, sprinkled with kosher or my personal favorite, sea salt. Mmm...
Pair it with some cheese dipping sauce and oh my. 
Well I decided it was high time to make some. Why? Because it was just too hot to run out and buy one at the mall. And mostly because I would get more bang for my buck if I made them myself. A soft pretzel at the mall costs about $3.50 and I can make a batch of 8 for about the same amount. That comes out to about...well, a whole lot cheaper. And with four hungry men at home it's always great when I can stretch my budget and maximize my dollars.

The recipe I always use is from King Arthur Flour. You can find it here. Each recipe makes eight pretzels or if making knotted pretzels seems like too much then you can make a whole bunch of pretzel bites. 
How about whipping up some spicy cheese dipping sauce to go with those pretzels? It couldn't be easier and your family will sing your praises. 
Here's an easy cheese sauce I make. It takes just a few ingredients and no time at all.

1 cup milk
1 cup sharp cheddar or Mexican Blend shredded cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
Hot sauce 
Cayenne pepper 
Heat the milk up until it just begins to bible and remove from the heat. Melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook on a medium low heat for a minute or two. Add in the cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Add a teaspoon or two of hot sauce and teaspoon or two of the cayenne pepper and mix well. Serve With warm pretzels and watch them quickly disappear.



2 comments:

  1. oooooh! You're practicing! :)
    Those look soooooooooo good! All the gf recipes I'm finding look unappetizing, unfortunately... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have even channeled my inner Paula Deen 'cause I went hog wild with the butter and gave each of those pretzels a soak. Yummy!!!
    It's been difficult finding something that I might do, but I think I have a winner. Fingers xx'd.

    ReplyDelete